Delhi Desk, Delhi -Magazine:There are 7 Central , 9 Deemed and 10 State Universities in Delhi.
Central Universities in Delhi
University of Delhi, Delhi-110007:
Listed in the list of top premium educational institutes in India, Delhi University has always been the first choice of students for undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Delhi University established in the year 1922 ranks first for top colleges in India. Delhi University has 65 colleges offering courses in Art, Commerce, Social Sciences and Science. Twenty-five of these colleges are affiliated with the South Campus while others are affiliated with the North Campus. List of colleges under Delhi University : Acharya Narendra Dev College, College of Vocational Studies, Triveni (Sheikh Sarai), Deshbandhu College, Ramanujan College, Dyal Singh College, Lady Shri Ram College for Women (all these are under south campus), St. Stephen’s College, Shri Ram College of Commerce, Hindu College, Hansraj College, Kirori Mal College, Miranda House, Delhi School of Economics.
Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri National Sanskrit University:
It is a central university whose earlier name was Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth. Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri National Sanskrit University is located in New Delhi, the capital of India. T Dr. Mandan Mishra was a famous Sanskrit scholar who founded the Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth on 8 October 1962. On 16.11.1987, it is upgraded as a national university.
The Central Sanskrit University:
It was established on 15 October 1970 to promote Sanskrit and this university works under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. It is located in 56-57, Institutional Area, Janak Puri, New Delhi-110 058 (Central University w.e.f. 30.04.2020) (Formerly Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, Deemed to be University) 07.05.2002.
Indira Gandhi National Open University:
Indira Gandhi National Open University is a central and open university. IGNOU conducts postgraduate, graduate, diploma and certificate courses in two sessions i.e. in the month of July and January. Today 237 courses are organized in IGNOU. Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) is the largest open university in the world. In which more than 40 lakh students from India and other 33 countries study. it is located in Maidan Garhi, New Delhi-110 068. (Central University). It is founded in 1985.
Jawaharlal Nehru University:
Jawaharlal Nehru University is located at New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi-110 067. It is known for its world class education and research. JNU was the third best university in India in 2016 while second in 2017. JNU was established in 1969 under the Parliament Act. G Parthasarathy was the first Vice Chancellor of JNU while Professor Moonis Raza was the founder and chairman. The bill for the formation of JNU was introduced in the Rajya Sabha on 1 September 1965. The JNU Bill was passed in the Lok Sabha on 16 November 1966 and the JNU Act was prepared on 22 April 1969.
Jamia Mallia Islamia University:
Maulana Mahmud Hasan laid the foundation of Jamia Millia Islamia in Aligarh on 29 October 1920. Congress leader and Hakim Ajmal Khan became the first Vice Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia. Starting as a small institution in Aligarh till it became a central university, the story of Jamia is full of struggles. At the behest of Gandhiji, the boycott of educational institutions running with the support of British rule started. A group of nationalist teachers and students left Aligarh Muslim University and Jamia Millia Islamia was founded. It is located at Maulana Mohammad Ali Jauhar Marg, Jamia Nagar, Okhla, New Delhi-110 025. (Central University) 1988.
South Asian University:
Currently South Asian University running in Akbar Bhawan Campus, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi – 110 021. There are 5 faculties and 7 departments running in the South Asian University. It includes subjects like Biotechnology, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, Legal Studies, Sociology, International Relations. Regarding admission in the university, there is such a provision that 50 percent students are from India and the remaining 50 percent students are from other South Asian countries. Among the students from other countries, the number of students from Bangladesh, Nepal, Afghanistan is more. Some students from Pakistan are also studying in the institute. Sharma said that about 600 students are studying in the university. The South Asian University was inaugurated in the year 2010. Bhoomi Pujan for the new campus was done in the year 2015.
List of Deemed Universities in Delhi
There are 9 UGC approved deemed universities in Delhi. These are followings:
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute: It is located at Pusa Road, New Delhi-110 012. It is founded on 22.08.1958.
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade: It is located at IIFT Bhawan, Qutab Industrial Area, New Delhi-110 016. It is founded on 20.05.2002.
- Indian Law Institute: It is located at Bhagwandas Road, New Delhi-110 001. It is founded on 29.10.2004.
- Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences (ILBS): It is located at D-1 VasantKunj, New Delhi-110 070. It is founded on 10.07.2009.
- Jamia Hamdard: It is located at Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi-110 062. It is founded on 10.05.1989.
- Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga: It is located at 68, Ashok Road, New Delhi 110001. It is founded on 18.06.2021.
- National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration: It is located at 17-B, Sri Aurobindo Marg, New Delhi – 110 016. It is founded on 11.08.2006.
- National Museum Institute of History of Art: It is located at Conservation and Museology, Janpath, New Delhi-110 011. It is founded on 28.04.1989.
- TERI School of Advanced Studies: It is located at Plot No. 10, Institutional Area, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi-110070. It is founded on 05.10.1999.
List of State Universities in Delhi
There are following state universities in Delhi:
- Bharat Ratna Dr. B.R. Ambedkar University: It is located at Lothian Road, Kashmere Gate, Delhi – 110 006. It is founded on 2007.
- Delhi Pharmaceutical Sciences & Research University: It is located at DIPSAR Campus, Sector-III, Pushp Vihar, New Delhi. It is founded on 2010.
- Delhi Skill and Entrepreneurship University: It is located at Integrated Institute of Technology Complex, Sector- 9, Dwarka, New Delhi- 110077. It is founded on 15.08.2020.
- Delhi Sports University: It is located at Ludlow Castle Sports Complex, Shamnath Marg, Delhi- 110054. It is founded on 15.08.2020.
- Delhi Technological University: It is located at Shahbad Daultapur, Bawana Road, Delhi -110042. It is founded on 2009.
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha Vishwavidyalaya: It is located at Sector 16 C, Dwarka, Delhi-110 078. It is founded on 1998.
- Indira Gandhi Delhi Technical University for Women: It is located at Kashmere Gate, Delhi – 110 006. It is founded on 2013.
- Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology: It is located at Near Govindpuri Metro Station, Okhla Industrial Estate, Phase –III, New Delhi-110020. It is founded on 2008.
- National Law University: It is located at Sector, 14, Dwarka, New Delhi-110078. It is founded on 2008.
- Netaji Subhas University of Technology: It is located at Azad Hind Fauj Marg, Sector3, Dwarka, New Delhi- 110078It is founded on 26.09.2018.
You would also love to read best places for couples in Delhi.