Table of Contents
Health Desk, Delhi Magazine: Asana are the physical postures which is necessary to attain internal fitness. An asana is a body posture that is performed to benefit the health and mind. The term has been derived from a Sanskrit term that means “posture” or “pose”.
Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
It is an uplifting pose because it opens up your heart and chest, helping you breathe deeper. They’re also believed to stimulate the adrenal glands. Chakrasana, or Urdhva Dhanurasana, also offers a deep stretch for the chest and shoulder muscles, as well as the hip flexors.
Benefits of Chakrasana
- It improves spine flexibility and strength. Chakrasana, or the wheel pose, is one of the best stretches.
- Tones the abdominal region.
- Cures backache.
- Relieves stress
- Strengthens your body.
- It improves blood circulation.
- It boosts confidence
How to do Chakrasana ( Chakrasana Steps)
The steps for Chakrasana are:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent, feet shoulder wide and heels touching the buttocks.
- Place your palms on the floor besides your head
- Breathe in and slowly and carefully lift your torso, arching your spine using the support of your arms.
- Try to straighten your upper and lower limbs as much as possible, dropping your head backward gently.
- Hold this position for as long as you can comfortably.
- Then slowly lower your torso by allowing your head to touch the floor.
- Come back to the initial position and relax
The Wheal Pose Cautions:-
- Do not practice when you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, diarrhea, cervical spondylosis, back and wrist, pain, migraine, cardiac problem, menstruation and during pregnancy.
Duration of Chakrasana for beginners:-
- 10-30 sec for the beginners,
- Do as much as your body allows
- Practice on non-slip yoga mat
Role of wheel Pose in Sports
- GYMNASTICS –
Gymnastics is a type of sport that includes physical exercises requiring balance, strength, flexibility, agility, coordination, and endurance. The movements involved in gymnastics contribute to the development of the arms, legs, shoulders, back, chest, and abdominal muscle groups.
How Yoga is helpful in Gymnastics?
As Yoga reduces stiffness of our body, gymnasts take the support of yoga to improve their flexibility.
Yoga has the potential to help gymnasts with injury prevention, body posture and awareness, stress relief, and better focus. It also increases athlete’s strength and flexibility.
Yoga is very important for gymnasts in improving:-
- Back stretch
- Shoulder stretch
- Back Hanspring
- Body Arch
- Legs Streching
- Back Flipping
How Chakrasana Yoga is helpful in Table Tennis?
Table tennis is a typical sport that is easy to start, but very hard to be excellent.
Table tennis is not just hitting the ball with a paddle. Physically, it contains accuracy, speed, spin, power, rhythm.
And mentally, every single thought in your mind affects your body to hit the ball. Ma Long lost few matches to Wang Hao on World Table Tennis Championships just because his mind wasn’t strong and stable enough.
Chakrasana Yoga is very important for Table tennis in improving:-
- Hand Strength
- Body balance
- Boosting Confidence.
How Yoga is helpful in Taekwondo?
Taekwondo, Tae Kwon Do or Taekwon-Do is a Korean martial art involving punching and kicking techniques, with emphasis on head-height kicks, spinning jump kicks, and fast kicking techniques. It consists of sharp strong angular movements with free flowing circular movements to produce a balance of beauty and power.
The flexibility you gain through yoga can improve your range of motion, which is critical in the ring. It will help you to dodge your opponent, throw stronger punches, and prevent injuries. Yoga’s twisting poses can also help you to improve your twisting range of motion, making for higher and more accurate hooks.
Chakrasana Yoga is very important for Taekwondo in various ways:-
- Development of Flexibility. If flexibility isn’t one of your strengths as a Taekwondo practitioner, yoga can help you develop more flexibility. …
- Strength and Balance.
- Breath Control. ..
- A Clear Mind. …
- Practice through Repetition.
“For martial arts, you need flexibility, balance and functional strength. Yoga improves all three! Yoga stretches make you more flexible and increase your range of motion so you can kick higher and reach further”
How Yoga is helpful in Boxing?
The basic skills of boxing for beginners include the boxer’s stance, the jab, the cross, the hook, and the uppercut punches. Successful boxers are able to employ a combination of skilled footwork and punches together in close synchronization.
It is a fighting style that emphasizes quick, effective footwork, pinpoint punching accuracy, and lightning-fast reflexes and hand speed. In essence, technical boxers emphasize the main objective of boxing: hit and not get hit, and take it one step further.
Yoga is very important for Boxing in various ways:
- Control breathing with Pranayama to improve your stamina.
- Create length with yoga stretching to extend your reach
- Improve balance for better offense, defense, and movement
- Prevent injury for faster boxing development
- Repair boxing-related pain and stiffness
- Reduce fight-related stress for better sleep, recovery, and performance
- Increase attention span and learning ability to up your fight IQ
- Stay “in the zone” longer, increasing flow-state time in your fight
About The Author:
Ms Raveena Tandon
(A YOGI , Science Facilitator and a T-T Player)
Contact – 8178768848